Improve AWS load balancer health monitoring
During this task you will define a no-auth helper application for use with AWS load balancing healt monitoring.
Before you begin
Ensure that you have access to:
- The AWS EC2 console, used to determine the internal IP address of Access Gateway high availability instances.
- The Access Gateway admin console running in AWS, used to create applications for load balancer health checks.
- Determine internal AWS IP addresses:
- Open a browser to the AWS EC2 console at https://console.aws.amazon.com/ec2/
- Sign in to the AWS Console.
- Scroll to and expand Instances.
- Click Instances.
- Examine the list of instances. Note the Private IP Address for each cluster member.
If private IP address is inactive, click Settings and selectPrivate IP Address to activate it.
Create no-auth application:
For each high availability node, create a no-auth application associated with the private IP address. These applications return a value of 200 on success. 200 is the default HTTP return code for a healthy instance.
- Return to or open a browser to the Access Gateway Admin UI console.
- Select the Applications tab.
- For each IP address create an associated application:
- Click Add.
- Select No-auth.
- In the Essentials tab, specify:
Field Value Name An appropriate name for the application, such as LBHealth-Admin. Where the name suffix distinguishes the application from other health monitoring applications. Public Domain Enter the associated public IP address.
Protected Web Resource
Leave unchanged as initially populated by wizard.
- Click Next. The Attributes tab opens.
- Click Next. The Policies tab opens.
- Click Done.
Configure Load Balancer to use HTTP 200 return code:
With applications that return a 200 return code, we can then modify the load balancer health check to use a 200 code.
- Return to the AWS Console.
- In the navigation pane, under Load Balancing, click Load Balancers. A list of all defined load balancers will display.
- Select the newly created load balancer.
- Select the Health Check tab.
- Click Edit Health Check.
- Change the return code to 200.
- Click Save.