- Okta Mobile 1.2.8 or later for Android or Okta Mobile 4.2 or later for iOS is required for this procedure.
- Rebooted or reset iOS devices may not receive the Clear Passcode command if they don’t have mobile data connections (3G, 4G, or LTE). This is because they do not automatically connect to WiFi until a passcode is entered.
See Cannot remove iPad passcode via the "Clear Passcode" command in Admin console.
In the Admin Console, go to OMM > Okta Mobility Management.
- In the Device Name & User column, click the device you want to reset.
- On the Device Attributes page, click Device Actions.
- Depending on the device type, complete one of the following:
- For iOS, click Clear Passcode. The user has one hour to set up a new password.
- For Android, enter the new password you want to assign to the device, and then click Reset Passcode. The user has one hour to set up a new password.
If you are resetting the passcode of a Samsung SAFE or Native Android device, make sure the passcode you enter complies with the General Android Device Passcode Requirements configured in the Platform Rule (OMM > OMM Policies). Be aware that, even though you are not prevented from entering a non-compliant passcode in the New Passcode field and a success message may display after you click Reset Passcode, the non-compliant passcode will not work and the user will not be able to access apps.
The following table summarizes support for the Clear and Reset passcode options on Android devices:
Device and passcode type
Android OS earlier than 7.0
Android OS 7.0 or later
Android for Work
Android for Work
Non-Android for Work
(SAFE and Native)
Clear Passcode: Supported by Okta
Reset Passcode: Supported by Okta
Clear Passcode: Not supported; the option is not available in the menu
Reset Passcode: Supported, but note the important information above.