Add an Okta SAML application
During this task we will create an Okta SAML application.
Determine the values for:
|Single sign on URL||SAML Post URL location.
Often referred to as the SAML Assertion Consumer Service (ACS) URL for the target application.
|Audience URI||The application defined unique identifier that is the intended audience of the SAML assertion. Most often referred to as the SP Entity ID of your application.|
To create a direct access application in your Okta tenant:
- Sign in to your Okta tenant as an administrator.
- In the Admin Console, navigate to Applications >Applications.
- Click Add Application.
- Click Create New App.
- In the Create a New Application dialog, choose SAML 2.0 and click Create.
- Enter an App name such as Direct access to <my app> and click Next.
- In Configure SAML step, in the SAML Settings section, enter values for:
Field Example Single sign on URL https://SAMLtest.example.com/path Audience URI SAMLShowcase
- Click Next.
- In the last page, select I'm an Okta customer adding an internal app, and click Finish.
Later we will need to create a bookmark Okta application which will require a specific URL to the SAML application. It's convenient to determine this URL now.
- Click the name of the newly added application.
- Select the Sign On tab.
- In the SAML 2.0 section of the Settings page, click Identity Provider metadata.
- Select and copy the displayed metadata. This metadata will be provided to the SAML application to generate the required URL.
The following steps vary based on the SAML application. See the application providers documentation for obtaining the appropriate URL.
- Navigate to the SAML application. In this example, navigate to https://SAMLtest.examplecom > IDP initiated SSO
- Paste the provided metadata as required by the SAML application.
In this example, paste the metadata into the metadata content field and click SUBMIT XML.
- Copy the provided URL and save for use with the bookmark application.