Configure your Okta tenant as an Identity Provider
After Access Gateway has been installed, and typical post installation tasks have been performed, your Okta tenant must be configured as an IDP. This page lists the tasks to configure your Okta tenant as an Okta Access Gateway Identity Provider.
Configuring Okta as the identity provider for Access Gateway involves three individual tasks.
- Create an Okta service account for Access Gateway
- Create an Okta API Token
- Configure IDP in Access Gateway
In your browser, navigate to your Okta org and sign in as an administrator.
Okta recommends creating a specific Service Account in Okta to create the Access Gateway API key. This is important because every action performed by an API key is logged under the user that created the key. In the interest of maintaining accurate logs, a dedicated Access Gateway Service Account is recommended.
- In the Admin Console, go to Directory > People.
- Click Add Person.
- In the Service Account name fields, enter the first and last name.
- In the Username and Primary email fields, enter a dummy email . For example, email@example.com.
Use a dummy value for the Username and Primary email fields so that there is no interference between the service account and your own account in the event of a password reset request. Adding your own email address to the Secondary email field ensures you can activate and maintain the service account.
- In the Secondary email field, enter your valid administrator email.
- Select the Send user activation email check box, and click Save. You should now see your newly created Service Account under the Activated people tab with a Password reset status.
- In the Admin Console, go to Security >Administrators section.
- Click Add Administrator.
- In the Grant administrator role to field, enter the name of the service account created earlier.
- Select the Super Administrator check box, and click Add Administrator. You should now have two Super Administrator accounts.
- Sign out of your Okta Admin Account.
- In your email, open the Service Account Activation Email you received from Okta and click the Activation link.
- Set a password and a security question, and select an account security image.
- Upon completion, sign in with the new Service Account credentials.
Navigate to your Okta org.
- In the Admin Console, go to Security >API .
On the API page, click Create Token.
Enter a Token Name in the dialog box, and click Create Token.
Use a name that easily identifies the token’s purpose. In this case, the token is being used in the Access Gateway appliance, so including or Access Gateway, OAG, or other relevant information is recommended.
- Copy the displayed Token Value in a safe place.
- Click Ok, got it.
Once you close the pop-up window, you can never display the token value again.
Ensure you copy the token to a safe, secure location (such as a password manager or secure note database) for future reference.
- In your browser, navigate to the Access Gateway Admin UI console and sign in as an administrator.
- Select the Settings tab.
- Click the Identity Providers pane.
- Click + and select OKTA.
- In the Name field, enter the name of an app.
- In the Okta Org URL and Okta API Token fields, enter the values generated earlier.
- Click Not Validated.
Once the Okta API Token is validated successfully, the Not Validated button changes to Validated
- Click Okay. The Settings tab displays your Okta IDP status.
- Verify that it displays the status as Valid.
- Navigate to the Topology tab to test the IDP’s connection.
- Click the Okta IDP icon to be redirected to your Okta tenant.