Managing Google Licenses
This guide provides steps to configure the License Management feature for G-Suite.
Managing G-Suite UsersWhen an Okta end user is assigned to G-Suite or when their assignments are updated, admins have the option to manage all Google licenses and deprovisioning actions, centrally and granularly, within Okta. Additionally, this Okta end user's licenses can be automatically updated within their 3rd-party Google account. This is true Individually or within a group. In essence, any updates created in Okta can be subsequently pushed to Google.
To use this option, the following must be true:
- Provisioning forG-Suite is enabled.
- The Manage License on Create and Update drop-down in Okta is set to true. See Options for License Management below for details.
- The Auto-assign the following license to all currently unassigned usersIn Okta literature, we generally refer to "users" as the people who serve as Okta administrators. When we refer to "end users" we are generally referring to the people who the administrators serve. That is, those who use Okta chiclets to access their apps, but have no administrative control. and users subsequently created button in your Google account AdminAn abbreviation of administrator. This is the individual(s) who have access to the Okta Administrator Dashboard. They control the provisioning and deprovisioning of end users, the assigning of apps, the resetting of passwords, and the overall end user experience. Only administrators have the Administration button on the upper right side of the My Applications page. Console is unchecked, as shown below.
From the G-Suite page in Okta, do the following:
- Click the People or GroupsGroups allow you to organize your end users and the apps they can access. Assigning apps to large sets of end users is made easier with groups. tab.
- Chose a user or group and click the right-side Edit button. The Edit User Assignment page appears.
- Click true on the Manage licenses on create update drop-down menu. See Options for License Management below for details.
- Click the appropriate check-boxes to assign the license(s).
Caution: Only certain groups of Google licenses can be individually selected, as some groups provide mutually exclusive options. For example, G-Suiteand Google Drive can only be assigned one license selection at a time. Choosing more than one results in an error on the Tasks page, and only the first selection is honored.
Managing User Assignments
Options for User DeactivationWhen you need to deprovision or deactivate an Okta user from G-Suite, you can do so without compromising the user's Google account. Control this element under Deactivation options on the Edit User Assignments screen. If both boxes are left unchecked, the user is suspended in Okta and in their corresponding Google account. See details about these options below.
Do not suspend user
Checking this box prevents the user's account from being suspended in Google after deprovisioning in Okta. The user's Google account remains active.
Remove all G-Suite licenses
Checking this box insures that, when deprovisioned, Google licenses for this user no longer exist in Okta.