Import Groups from Active Directory to Office 365 through Okta
Another feature of the Office 365 integration in Okta is that, just like usersIn Okta literature, we generally refer to "users" as the people who serve as Okta administrators. When we refer to "end users" we are generally referring to the people who the administrators serve. That is, those who use Okta chiclets to access their apps, but have no administrative control., you can also provision groupsGroups allow you to organize your end users and the apps they can access. Assigning apps to large sets of end users is made easier with groups. to Office 365 from Okta. This functionality is called Push Groups. It means that from the range of groups you can have in Okta, you can have some of them automatically created and their memberships updated in Office 365.
In Okta there are a variety of groups that can be imported. You can get groups from Active Directory and LDAP servers as well as online services like BOX.net and Workday. Okta also has its own native groups that are created and managed directly in the Okta portal. All of these groups can be provisioned into Office 365.
There are two ways you can create groups in Office 365 from Okta.
The first is by referencing the group directly:
- Select Applications, then select your Office 365 application. Switch to the Push Groups tab.
- Click on the green Push Groups button and select Find groups by name. You can then start typing into the search box and select a group from Okta. In the example below you can see groups from BOX.net, an Active Directory domainA domain is an attribute of an Okta organization. Okta uses a fully-qualified domain name, meaning it always includes the top-level domain (.com, .eu, etc.), but does not include the protocol (https). and an LDAP server.
- If you leave the Push group memberships immediately checked, when you select and add the group it will be created in Office 365. After clicking on the Active button, you can deactivate, delete, or push the group membership from the interface shown below.
The second method to defining what groups you can push from Okta into Office 365 is by rule.
- Click on the green Push Groups icon and select Find groups by rule.
- From here you are presented with a simple interface that allows you to name the rule and define the parameters by which groups are selected to be pushed to Office 365. You can search based on the group name or description. There are a variety of filters by which to define the search. Again there is a checkbox to immediately initiate the group push once the rule is defined.