You can import users into your orgThe Okta container that represents a real-world organization. from any appAn abbreviation of application. Essentially, it is a web-based site used to perform any number of specific tasks, and requires authentication from end users by signing in. or by using a Import users from a CSV file. You can schedule an import to add users when an application is added or schedule it for later. You also have control over how imported users are confirmed and, through mapping rules, how application fields are mapped to an Okta username.
To import users from an app, do the following:
- Navigate to Applications in the AdminAn abbreviation of administrator. This is the individual(s) who have access to the Okta Administrator Dashboard. They control the provisioning and deprovisioning of end users, the assigning of apps, the resetting of passwords, and the overall end user experience. Only administrators have the Administration button on the upper right side of the My Applications page. Console, and select the app from which you want to import users.
- Click on Import Now.
- Your users are imported and a summary of the number of users and groupsGroups allow you to organize your end users and the apps they can access. Assigning apps to large sets of end users is made easier with groups. imported displays. Click OK.
Importing users when provisioning an app
Provisioning must be enabled to use the following features. To enable provisioning, do the following:
- From the Administrator Dashboard select Applications and click the application you want to configure.
- Click the Provisioning tab. If no Provisioning tab appears, the app is not provisioning enabled.
- From the left-side panel under Settings, chose To Okta. This screen contains settings for all information that flows from the app to Okta.
- Click the adjacent Edit buttons to make changes in the following sections.
Use this section to schedule imports and dictate a username format that Okta will use for imported users. You can also define a percentage of acceptable app assignments before the Import safeguard feature is automatically triggered.
User Creation & Matching
Matching rules are used in the import of users from all apps and directories that allow importing. Establishing matching criteria allows you to specify how an imported user should be defined as a new user or mapped to an existing Okta user.
Imported user is an exact match to Okta user if: Select the match criteria that establishes whether an imported user exactly matches an existing Okta user. Choose any combination from the list of options to establish your criteria. For the new imported user to be considered an exact match, each option that you select must be true. Note that if you choose the third option, the first and second choices are disabled.
Allow partial matches: Partial matching occurs when the first and last name of an imported user matches that of an existing Okta user, but the user’s username or/and email address do not.
Confirm matched users: Select to automate the confirmation or activation of existing users. Unchecked, matches are confirmed manually.
Confirm new users: Select to automate the confirmation or activation of a newly imported user. If this option is selected, you can uncheck it during import confirmation. Note that this feature does not apply for users who already exist in Okta.
For information on deprovisioning, see Provisioning and Deprovisioning Overview.
Okta Attribute Mappings
Use this portion of the page to edit attributes and mappings. For more details on mappings, see the Profile Editor.
Clearing unconfirmed users
During standard imports, users are sometimes mistakenly imported from a 3rd-party app such as Active Directory (AD), Workday, or through a manual CSV import. This can lead to conflicted users within the import queue. Previously, there was no way to remove these unconfirmed users.
The Clear Unconfirmed Users button allows admins to clear all unconfirmed users within an import queue. This feature is supported for profile masters such as AD, LDAP, Workday, SuccessFactors, BambooHR, Namely, and Ultipro, as well as provisioning apps that support imports, such as Zendesk. This operation only works with a single application, and will not affect other apps that have users in the staging phase.
- From the Admin Dashboard, hover over the Application menu and choose Applications.
- On the Applications page, select a provisioning-enabled app.
- Click on the Import tab.
- If there are unconfirmed users within the import queue, clear them by clicking the Clear Unconfirmed Users button, as shown below.
- A confirmation screen appears with the current tally of unconfirmed users. Click the Clear Import Results button to confirm.
It is not possible to select and remove specific users at this time. The only option is to clear all users. If an admin mistakenly clears all users from the queue, they can rerun a full import to restore the queue back to its prior state. To restore the import queue, an incremental import will not suffice—a full import is required.
Also note that, if an existing (scheduled or manual) import is actively running, admins cannot clear users. The Clear Unconfirmed Users button is grayed out until that previous import is complete. If a scheduled or manual import is started during a clearing process, it is queued up to begin as soon as the previous operation completes.Top