Reset user passwords
You can reset user passwords for an active individual user, or for multiple end usersIn Okta literature, we generally refer to "end users" as the people who have their own Okta home page (My Applications), using chiclets to authenticate into all of their apps. End users do not have any administrative control. When we refer to "users" we are generally referring to the individual(s) who have administrative control. whose accounts are currently in a Locked Out state. You can also enable users to reset their own password.
Reset an individual user password
This feature is Generally AvailableGenerally Available features are available to all orgs automatically according to each customer's SKU. You don’t need to enable them in the console or contact Okta Support. for orgs using Active Directory. This is an Early AccessEarly Access (EA) features are opt-in features that you can try out in your org by asking Okta Support to enable them. Additionally, the Features page in the Okta Admin Console (Settings > Features) allows Super Admins to enable and disable some EA features themselves. feature for orgs using LDAP.
- From the People page, click the user whose password needs to be reset.
- Click the Reset Password button at the top of the page
- In the window that appears, click
- the Reset Password Link button to send an Account Password Reset email to the user containing a password reset link
– or –
- the Temporary Password button to generate a random password. This password must be changed upon sign in.
Note: For users who have not completed their initial activation the only option available will be Reset Password Link.
Orgs using Active Directory also have the option to reset multiple end user passwords at once.
Note: This feature is not available for LDAP.
Reset multiple user passwords
This feature is free in the United States and Canada. International orgs should contact Customer Support before enabling SMS.
- From the People page, click Reset Passwords.
- On the Reset Passwords page, select the users whose password you'd like to reset.
- Click Reset Password.
An Account Password Reset email is sent to the specified email address. It includes an auto-generated password.Top