Reset user passwords
- Password Reset
- Locked Out
Orgs using Active DirectoryActive Directory (AD) is a directory service that Microsoft developed for the Windows domain networks. It is included in most Windows Server operating systems as a set of processes and services. Initially, Active Directory was only in charge of centralized domain management. have the option to reset multiple end user passwords at once.
Reset an individual user password
This feature is Generally AvailableGenerally Available features are available to all orgs automatically according to each customer's SKU. You don’t need to enable them in the console or contact Okta Support. for orgs using Active Directory and LDAPLightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) is a lightweight client-server protocol for accessing directory services, specifically X.500-based directory services. LDAP runs over TCP/IP or other connection oriented transfer services..
- On the People page, click the user whose password needs to be reset.
- Click Reset Password.
- In the window that appears, click
- Reset Password Link to send the user an Account Password Reset email containing a password reset link
– or –
- Temporary Password to generate a random password that you can provide to the user. Note that sending a temporary password changes the user's status to Expired until the temporary password is changed.
Notes for AD-mastered users in a Delegated Authentication environment
- When an adminAn abbreviation of administrator. This is the individual(s) who have access to the Okta Administrator Dashboard. They control the provisioning and deprovisioning of end users, the assigning of apps, the resetting of passwords, and the overall end user experience. Only administrators have the Administration button on the upper right side of the My Applications page. triggers a password reset, the original password does not expire in Active Directory. If the user remembers their original AD password, they can use it to log in despite the password reset.
If an admin uses the Temporary Password option for a user whose AD account has the "Password never expires" option, the user will not be prompted to change their password after entering the temporary password.
Reset multiple user passwords
Only orgs using Active Directory have the option to reset multiple end user passwords at once. When you reset multiple AD users' passwords, an Account Password Reset email containing an auto-generated password is sent to the specified email addresses.
Note: There is no bulk password reset option for Okta-mastered users.
This feature is free in the United States and Canada. International orgs should contact Customer Support before enabling SMS.
- On the People page, click Reset Passwords.
- On the Reset Passwords page, select the users whose passwords you'd like to reset.
- Click Reset Password.