Assigning applications is one of the main uses of groupsGroups allow you to organize your end users and the apps they can access. Assigning apps to large sets of end users is made easier with groups.. You can assign users to an application manually, person by person (see People for more details), but this does not scale well when you have a large number of users. You can create groups directly in Okta but then you must also manage those groups in Okta. Most admins already have groups in their corporate directories (for example, in Active DirectoryActive Directory (AD) is a directory service that Microsoft developed for the Windows domain networks. It is included in most Windows Server operating systems as a set of processes and services. Initially, Active Directory was only in charge of centralized domain management. or an LDAPLightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) is a lightweight client-server protocol for accessing directory services, specifically X.500-based directory services. LDAP runs over TCP/IP or other connection oriented transfer services. server) that have existing group management processes to keep them up to date.
It makes sense to use these groups for application assignment purposes.
You can either select a group, then assign applications to that group; or you can select an application, then assign that application to one or more groups. Both methods are described below.
To assign apps to a selected group:
- Sign into your Administrator Dashboard, select Directory > Groups, and then select the group you want to assign apps to.
- Click the Manage Apps button to assign apps to the group.
- Click Assign for each appAn abbreviation of application. Essentially, it is a web-based site used to perform any number of specific tasks, and requires authentication from end users by signing in. you want users in this group to have access to, then click Done.
Note that, depending upon the app you are assigning, you may need to complete additional dialog boxes. For example, some apps require you to provide certain attributes that will be assigned to all users in a group for that app.
To assign a selected app to one or more groups:
- Sign into your Administrator Dashboard, select Applications, and then select the application you want to assign to one or more groups.
- On the Assignments tab, click the Assign button.
- Select Assign to Groups for each group you want to assign this application to, then click Done.
After you assign apps to groups (or groups to apps), all users in the group can access the application from their Okta home page.Top