Okta Verify FAQ
- What is Okta Verify?
- What can I do with Okta Verify?
- Where do I download the Okta Verify app?
- I'm using Okta Verify for the first time. How do I set it up?
- What is a QR code and why do I need to use it for Okta Verify?
- I've already set up Okta Verify but I forgot how to use it and can't sign in to my Okta account?
- How do I know if I need to reset my Okta Verify enrollment?
- Can I use Okta Verify on more than one phone?
- How do I transfer my Okta Verify enrollment from one phone to another?
- I keep reading about the End User dashboard. What is it?
- What is the secret key and do I need it to sign in to my account?
- What is Security Key (U2F)?
1. What is Okta Verify?
- Okta Verify is an authenticator that allows you to confirm your identity using your phone so you - and only you - can sign in to your Okta account securely.
2. What can I do with the Okta Verify app?
With the Okta Verify appAn abbreviation of application. Essentially, it is a web-based site used to perform any number of specific tasks, and requires authentication from end users by signing in., you can:
- Enroll your phone or device with your Okta account.
- Add additional accounts that require Okta Verify for authentication. You can also add non-Okta apps!
- Manage the list of accounts enrolled with your mobile device.
- From the Okta Verify app, you cannot:
- Access or sign in to your Okta account directly. Instead sign in to your account from desktop computer, from a mobile browser, or use the Okta Mobile app.
- Reset your Okta Verify enrollment directly from the app. If you are locked out or forgot your password following the instructions in Reset Okta Verify.
3. Where do I download the Okta Verify app?
4. I'm using Okta Verify for the first time. How do I set it up?
5. What is a QR code and why do I need to use it for Okta Verify?
- A QR code is a universal barcode that can be scanned and read by your phone's camera. Okta uses QR codes to enroll your device with your Okta account. Usually you should only have to do this once, but if you or your IT department resets your account, you'll need to scan a new barcode to enroll again successfully. For how to scan the barcode, see Enroll your device with Okta Verify.
6. I've already set up Okta Verify but I forgot how to use it and can't sign in to my Okta account!
- Follow the steps in Sign in to your org with Okta Verify.
7. How do I know if I need to reset my Okta Verify enrollment?
If you run into any of the following scenarios, you may need to reset Okta Verify yourself or ask your IT adminAn abbreviation of administrator. This is the individual(s) who have access to the Okta Administrator Dashboard. They control the provisioning and deprovisioning of end users, the assigning of apps, the resetting of passwords, and the overall end user experience. Only administrators have the Administration button on the upper right side of the My Applications page. to reset it for you:
- You set up Okta Verify already but accidentally deleted the app from your phone or had to wipe and reset your device.
- You set up Okta Verify on your old phone but want to use a new phone instead.
- You're stuck in an authentication loop where the web browser instructs users to consult the Okta Verify app but the app does not receive a push notification or display a one-time code.
- You can't sign in to your account even if you enter the correct passcode from the app or approve a pop-up notification sent to your device.
- You keep receiving a verification code error in the Okta Verify app.
After you or your admin resets your Okta Verify enrollment, your phone will no longer be enrolled with your Okta account so you'll need to set it up again from the beginning.
To reset your account, follow the steps in Reset Okta Verify.
8. Can I use Okta Verify on more than one phone?
- Currently Okta Verify only supports one device at a time.
9. How do I transfer my Okta Verify enrollment from one phone to another?
- For security reasons, you cannot transfer Okta Verify from one phone to another. If you've already set up Okta Verify on your phone but want to use it on a different phone, sign in to your Okta account and reset Okta Verify from the Settings page. For more information, see Reset Okta Verify directly from your Okta account.
10. I keep reading about the End User Dashboard. What is it?
- The End User Dashboard (not to be confused with the Okta Admin Dashboard) is used to describe the landing page that you see once you've logged into your Okta account. This dashboard shows all of the apps available to you and also allows you to edit your profile settings.
11. What is the secret key and do I need it to sign in to my account?
- When enrolling your device into Okta Verify for the first time, you have two options: 1) Use the app to scan the QR code on your computer or 2) Generate a secret key that you can enter on your phone. To learn more, see Enroll your device without scanning a QR code.
12. What is Security Key (U2F)?
- A Security Key (U2F) is device that can be plugged into your computer to enhance multifactor authentication. Examples of Okta-supported U2F security keys include YubiKey or Titan Security Key. To learn whether it applies to your organization, contact your administrator.