Reset Okta Verify
For more information, see Reset Okta Verify directly from your Okta account.
The self-service steps described in this article will not work in all cases. For example, if your previous phone was your only way of signing in to your organization, you'll need to contact your IT administrator for help resetting your device.
Common reasons to reset Okta Verify
- You wiped or reset your current phone after you already set up Okta Verify.
- You want to set up Okta Verify on a new phone.
- You're stuck in an authentication loop - the browser instructs you to check the Okta Verify appAn abbreviation of application. Essentially, it is a web-based site used to perform any number of specific tasks, and requires authentication from end users by signing in. but the app does not receive a push notification or display a one-time code.
- You can't sign in to your account even if you enter the correct passcode from the app or approve a pop-up notification sent to your device.
- You keep receiving a verification code error in the Okta Verify app.
If you want to reset Okta Verify, you have two options:
- Option 1 – Sign in to your Okta account from your browser and reset Okta Verify from your user settings. This only works if you can still access your Okta account by authenticating with Okta Verify or a different factor.
- Option 2 – If you can't sign in to your Okta account at all, please contact your IT department and request that they reset your Okta Verify enrollment for you.
Reset Okta Verify directly from your Okta account
If you know in advance that you plan to reset your phone or will be getting a new phone, you can reset your Okta Verify enrollment manually from your account.
If you forget to reset your device and are locked out, please contact your IT adminAn abbreviation of administrator. This is the individual(s) who have access to the Okta Administrator Dashboard. They control the provisioning and deprovisioning of end users, the assigning of apps, the resetting of passwords, and the overall end user experience. Only administrators have the Administration button on the upper right side of the My Applications page. to reset your enrollment for you.
You'll see a Remove button instead of a Reset button when you follow these steps to reset Okta Verify.
- Sign in to your Okta account. You may be prompted to verify your identity with a different MFA factor.
- Click your Name > Settings.
- If the Edit Profile button appears in the upper right corner of the screen, click it. Otherwise, skip to the next step. The Edit Profile button appears only if it's been a while since you last authenticated in to your Okta orgThe Okta container that represents a real-world organization..
- If prompted, enter your password. Otherwise, skip to the next step. This prompt appears only if it's been a while since you last authenticated in to your Okta org.
- Scroll down to theExtra Verification section.
- Next to Okta Verify, click Remove.
- When prompted to confirm removal, click Yes.
- If prompted, enter your password and satisfy an MFA challenge. Otherwise, skip to the next step. These prompts appear only if it's been a while since you last authenticated in to your Okta org.
- In Set up multifactor authentication, click Configure next factor.
- In Setup Okta Verify, select your device type and then click Next.
- Open the Okta Verify app on your phone, tap the plus sign (+) to add an account, and then scan the barcode.
If you cannot use your device camera to scan the barcode, click Can't scan?
Choose one of the following options best suited for you and follow the on-screen instructions:
- Send activation link via SMS
- Send activation link via email
- Set up manually without Push AuthenticationAuthentication is distinct from authorization, which is the process of giving individuals access to system objects based on their identity. Authentication merely ensures that the individual is who he or she claims to be, but says nothing about the access rights of the individual. Authentication methods and protocols include direct auth, delegated auth, SAML, SWA, WS-Fed, and OpenID Connect.
- The app confirms that you have enrolled successfully. A confirmation is displayed in your web browser. Click Finish.
If the Extra Verification section does not appear in your settings, that means that your admin has not configured any secondary factors for your organization. Contact your administrator for help.
If you're still stuck, please contact your IT department admin so they can reset Okta Verify for you.