Reset Okta Verify
See Reset Okta Verify for more information.
Common scenarios to reset Okta Verify
- You wiped or reset your current phone after you already set up Okta Verify.
- You want to set up Okta Verify on a new phone.
- You're stuck in an authentication loop - browser instructs you to checkthe Okta Verify appAn abbreviation of application. Essentially, it is a web-based site used to perform any number of specific tasks, and requires authentication from end users by signing in. but the app does not receive a push notification or display a one-time code.
- You can't sign in to your account even if you enter the correct passcode from the app or approve a pop-up notification sent to your device.
- You keep receiving a verification code error in the Okta Verify app.
If you want to reset Okta Verify, you have two options:
- Sign in to Okta from your browser and reset Okta Verify from your user settings. This only works if you can still access your Okta account by authenticating with Okta Verify or a different factor.
- If you can't sign in to your account at all, please contact your IT department and request that they reset your Okta Verify account for you.
Reset Okta Verify directly from your Okta account
If you know in advance that you plan to reset your phone or will be buying a new phone, you can reset Okta Verify manually from your account.
If you forget to reset your device and are locked out, please contact your IT adminAn abbreviation of administrator. This is the individual(s) who have access to the Okta Administrator Dashboard. They control the provisioning and deprovisioning of end users, the assigning of apps, the resetting of passwords, and the overall end user experience. Only administrators have the Administration button on the upper right side of the My Applications page. to reset your account for you.
To reset Okta Verify manually from your Okta account:
- Sign in to your Okta account. You may need to verify your identity with a different MFA factor.
- Click your Name > Settings.
- Scroll down to Extra Verification.
- Next to Okta Verify Mobile App, click Reset to open the reset prompt.
- The Set Up Okta Verify reset prompt appears. Click Yes to reset the enrolled Okta Verify account.
- The user must re-enter their password to proceed.
- Once the user is verified, you will be redirected to the Okta sign in page. Here you can either authenticate with a different factor or sign out of the session.
- Return to Name > Settings > Extra Verification.
- Next to Okta Verify Mobile App, click Setup. The Set Up Okta Verify window appears.
- Choose your device, follow the on-screen instructions and click Next.
- Open the Okta Verify app on your phone, click the Add account icon, and scan the QR code.
If you cannot use your device camera to scan the QR code, click Problems scanning barcode? Choose one of the following options best suited for you and follow the on-screen instructions:
- Send activation link via email
- Send activation link via SMS
- Set up manually without Push AuthenticationAuthentication is distinct from authorization, which is the process of giving individuals access to system objects based on their identity. Authentication merely ensures that the individual is who he or she claims to be, but says nothing about the access rights of the individual. Authentication methods and protocols include direct auth, delegated auth, SAML, SWA, WS-Fed, and OpenID Connect.
- The app will confirm that you have registered successfully. You'll also see a confirmation in your web browser. Click Done to finish.
If you still get stuck, please contact your IT department admin so they can reset Okta Verify for you.