Set up Okta Verify as a new user
Does your device supported Okta Verify? See Okta-supported versions of Apple and Android operating systems.
Steps to set up Okta Verify
If you're a new Okta user and your organization requires you to use Okta Verify, follow these steps to sign in to your Okta account:
- Step 1 - Install the Okta Verify app
- Step 2 - Sign in to your Okta account
- Step 3 - Enroll your device with Okta Verify
Don't feel like reading? Watch our video tutorial on how to set up Okta Verify for the first time.
Step 1 - Install the Okta Verify app
Download and install the Okta Verify app to your device in order to verify your identity when you attempt to sign in to your orgThe Okta container that represents a real-world organization.'s Okta account:
Proceed to Step 2 - Sign in to your Okta account.
Step 2 - Sign in to your Okta account
Once you've downloaded and installed the Okta Verify appAn abbreviation of application. Essentially, it is a web-based site used to perform any number of specific tasks, and requires authentication from end users by signing in., the next step is to sign in to your organization's Okta account from your web browser.
- Open the web browser on your computer and access your org's Okta sign-in page. Your org's sign in address looks like: https://org-name.okta.com, where org-name represents the name of your company or organization.
- Enter your username (email address) and your password.
- Click Sign In.
- Proceed to Step 3 - Enroll your phone with Okta Verify.
Don't know your username? Your Okta username is created for you by your adminAn abbreviation of administrator. This is the individual(s) who have access to the Okta Administrator Dashboard. They control the provisioning and deprovisioning of end users, the assigning of apps, the resetting of passwords, and the overall end user experience. Only administrators have the Administration button on the upper right side of the My Applications page.. Most new Okta users receive a Welcome email from Okta which contains their username and a link allowing them to create a password and activate their account. If you did not receive a Welcome email, contact your administrator.
Step 3 - Enroll your device with Okta Verify
Now that you've attempted to sign in to Okta with your username and password, register your phone or device with Okta Verify so you can verify your identity each time you sign in.
- When you attempt to sign in to Okta, the Set up multifactor authentication screen appears.
- Under Okta Verify, click Setup to begin the enrollment process. The Set Up Okta Verify screen appears.
- Select iOS, Android, or Windows to configure Okta Verify for your platform of choice.
- Click Next to continue with device enrollment. The code scanning screen appears.
- On your phone or device, open the Okta Verify app.
- Tap + to add a new account. The camera will start on the app.
- Scan the QR code on your computer screen using your phone or device.
Once the camera identifies the QR code, your device will be enrolled automatically. You will be returned to the Set up multifactor authentication screen on your web browser.
If you cannot scan the QR code, refer to Register your device without scanning a QR code.
- Click Finish to complete device enrollment.
You will be directed to your Okta homepage, which confirms that device enrollment was successful.
Continue to the next step to learn how to sign in with Okta Verify regularly after enrollment.
Register your device without scanning a QR code
- At the Scan barcode step from the Okta Verify Setup screen, click Can't scan?.
- Write down the secret key displayed in the Secret Key field. Click Next.
- On your phone, open the Okta Verify app and tap + to add a new account.
- Tap No Barcode? . Enter your email address for your username and the secret key you wrote down from step 2.
- Tap Add Account. If you entered your credentials correctly, your device will be registered successfully with Okta Verify without requiring the QR code.
Next Step: Sign in to your org with Okta Verify