Sign in to your org with Okta Verify
Use Okta Verify to sign in to your org
- Sign in to your orgThe Okta container that represents a real-world organization.. The Okta Verify AuthenticationAuthentication is distinct from authorization, which is the process of giving individuals access to system objects based on their identity. Authentication merely ensures that the individual is who he or she claims to be, but says nothing about the access rights of the individual. Authentication methods and protocols include direct auth, delegated auth, SAML, SWA, WS-Fed, and OpenID Connect. challenge screen is displayed.
- Here you may have two options to confirm your identity using the Okta Verify app:
- Enter a six-digit verification code from the app.
- Send a pop-up notification to your phone (available only if enabled by your IT department).
Option 1: Okta Verify verification code
Generate a six-digit code to sign in to Okta if additional verification is required. For security purposes, this code changes every thirty seconds.
- Enter your credentials to sign in to your org.
- When prompted, open the Okta Verify app on your mobile device.
- In the account list, look for an entry that displays the email address for your account. Remember the verification code that is displayed. In the example below, the code for Okta is 745795.
- In your web browser, enter the code that is displayed on the Okta Verify app. Click Verify to continue.
If the code entered was correct and matches the code displayed in the Okta Verify app, you will be signed in to your org automatically.
Use a code to confirm your identity
Option 2: Okta Verify push (pop-up) notification
Note: This feature is only available if your IT department has enabled it.
If the Send Push option appears once you attempt to sign in to Okta, you can verify your identity from a pop-up notification on your phone.
From this notification you can approve or deny a request. This pop-up request is only valid for up to five minutes. If it expires, you will need to sign in again to send a new notification to your device.
- Sign in to your org from your desktop computer.
- Click Send Push to send a notification to your device. You can select Send push automatically so that all future notifications automatically pop up on your device.
- Check your phone for a pop-up notification from Okta Verify.
- Approve the request to confirm you signed in. Your web browser will automatically redirect to your Okta apps.
Approve a pop-up notification to confirm your identity
To use push notifications:
Authenticate with Apple Watch or Android Wear
Okta Verify supports the use of both Apple Watch and Android Wear.
The Okta Verify for Apple Watch app allows you to view and accept or deny Okta Verify with push notifications from your watch screen. The watch also displays a rotating one-time password to allow authentication if push notifications are not enabled or if internet connectivity is unavailable.
Once you've paired your watch with an iPhone, the Okta Verify app installs automatically. Note that while the app can be opened and used at any time, the watch only receives notifications from the iPhone if it is locked based on Apple design.
The Okta Verify for Android Wear app allows you to view and accept or deny Okta Verify with Push challenges from your watch screen. You can also access the OTP on their Android Wear devices.
Authenticate with Apple Touch ID
Touch ID uses fingerprint detection technology to guard against unauthorized use of Okta Verify.
To sign in with Touch ID:
- Sign in to Okta and click Set Up Touch ID when the prompt is displayed.
If Touch ID has not been set up on your device, iOS Settings will appear to configure it.
- The Touch ID for "Okta Verify" screen appears.
- Enrollment is complete once you verify your identity with your fingerprint.
Approve requests directly from iOS push notifications
You can approve or deny an authentication request from Okta Verify directly from a notification without having to open the app each time.
There are two ways to action a request from a notification:
- From the lock screen
- From a pop-up notification on an unlocked screen
To approve a request from the lock screen:
- Swipe left once the notification appears.
- Tap View.
Tap Approve or Deny. You will be prompted to unlock your device.
- Enter your PIN or unlock the device with your fingerprint to proceed.
To approve a request from an unlocked screen:
- Swipe down once the notification appears.
- Tap Approve or Deny to action the request.
Once you approve a request, you will be signed in to your org automatically.
Devices with 3D Touch
If your iOS device supports 3D Touch, you may also hard press on a notification to display options to approve or deny the request.