Okta Service Mode
Your Okta service can be in either active or read-only mode.
Active mode is the normal, expected state of the Okta service. All data writes are possible and customer jobs are unaffected.
Read-only mode, which is extremely rare, indicates a reduced functionality state of the Okta service. You only experience this mode if there is a temporary issue with your orgThe Okta container that represents a real-world organization., or if there is a planned maintenance event, for which you would have advance notice.
When your service is in read-only mode, you can expect the following behavior:
- Your AdminAn abbreviation of administrator. This is the individual(s) who have access to the Okta Administrator Dashboard. They control the provisioning and deprovisioning of end users, the assigning of apps, the resetting of passwords, and the overall end user experience. Only administrators have the Administration button on the upper right side of the My Applications page. Console will display the following message:
- Admin actions involving data modifications (Creates, Updates and Deletes) will NOT work via the User Interface or API
- Jobs, both scheduled and on-demand, are suspended
- Existing end usersIn Okta literature, we generally refer to "end users" as the people who have their own Okta home page (My Applications), using apps to authenticate into all of their apps. End users do not have any administrative control. When we refer to "users" we are generally referring to the individual(s) who have administrative control. will be able to authenticate, but will NOT get profile updates during this time, First time sign-in for new end users will NOT work, this includes JIT provisioning flows. End-user self-service functionality beyond authentication and SSOAn acronym for single sign-on. In a SSO system, a user logs in once to the system and can access multiple systems without being prompted to sign in for each one. Okta is a cloud-based SSO platform that allows users to enter one name and password to access multiple applications. Users can access all of their web applications, both behind the firewall and in the cloud, with a single sign in. Okta provides a seamless experience across PCs, laptops, tablets, and smartphones., such as password and MFA resets, account unlock and editing settings will NOT work.
- The following areas will continue to work:
- Sign-ins, multifactor challenges/responses, SSO operations (both IdPAn acronym for Identity Provider. It is a service that manages end user accounts analogous to user directories such as LDAP and Active Directory, and can send SAML responses to SPs to authenticate end users. Within this scenario, the IdP is Okta.-initiated and SPAn acronym for service provider. Generally, an SP is a company, usually providing organizations with communications, storage, processing, and a host of other services. Within Okta, it is any website that accepts SAML responses as a way of signing in users, and has the ability to redirect a user to an IdP (e.g., Okta) to begin the authentication process.-initiated flows)
- Creating OpenID Connect and API Access Management tokens (ID, access, and refresh)
- API Session creation and OpenID Connect and API Access Management token flows