Create a user and assign a user type
When you create a new user, you associate them with an Okta user type.
Users imported from applications such as Active Directory, LDAP, Workday, or from a CSV file are assigned the default user type.
- In the Admin Console, go to Directory > People.
- Click Add Person.
- Select a user type in the User type list.
- Complete these fields:
- First name — Enter the user's first name.
- Last name — Enter the user's last name.
- Username — Enter the user's user name in email format.
- Primary email — Optional. Enter the user's primary email if it's different from their username.
- Secondary email — Optional. Enter a secondary email to allow the user to access information when their primary email is unavailable.
- Groups — Optional. Enter the groups to which the user belongs.
- Password — Select Set by user to allow the user to set their password, or select Set by admin and enter a password.
- Send user activation now - Optional. This check box is available when Set by user is selected as the password option. Select this check box to send a user activation email to the user.
- User must change password on first login — Optional. This check box is selected by default when you select Set by admin as the password option. Clear this check box if you do not want the user to change their password when they first log in.
- Click Save.