Get started with Okta Verify on macOS devices
Adding an account in Okta Verify is a two-step process. First, sign in to your organization's Okta account on your computer, then confirm your identity by using biometrics.
Note for administrators: Okta Verify for macOS is only available on Okta Identity Engine.
Okta Verify features are available based on configurations made by your organization.
Follow these guidelines before you add an account to Okta Verify on a second desktop device:
- To enroll in Okta Verify on multiple desktop devices, you must enroll with an additional authentication factor (for example, Yubikey, SMS, or Okta Verify with Push), which you can use to sign in on the additional desktop devices.
- If your first Okta Verify enrollment is on a desktop device, your next Okta Verify enrollment can only be on a mobile device. Open your organization’s Okta account on your desktop, go to Okta Verify, click Set up, and then select your device type. A QR code appears on the screen. From your mobile device, scan the QR code to enroll.
If you try to set up Okta Verify on a second desktop device without following the above guidelines, you will be prompted repeatedly to enroll using Okta Verify, which is not possible in this circumstance.
Before you begin
Obtain your organization’s sign-in URL. This might be available in the Welcome/Activation email that you received from your administrator.
Start this task
- If your IT department did not already install Okta Verify on your device, go to the Apple App Store, download Okta Verify, and then install it.
- Open Okta Verify.
- Click Add Account.
- Enter your organization’s sign-in URL.
- Click Next.
- In the browser window, complete the following in the Sign-In Widget:
- Enter your email address, and then click Next.
- Enter your password, and then click Verify.
- In the Touch ID with Okta Verify window, click Next.
If your fingerprint isn’t yet set up for Touch ID, Okta Verify prompts you to add your fingerprint. Click Add fingerprint. Follow the instructions and click Done. Then, click I’ve added a fingerprint.
- Click Enable Touch ID. This page appears if your fingerprint is already set up for Touch ID on your device.
- Scan your finger on the fingerprint reader.
For example, click the Okta Verify desktop shortcut, or if the app is running, from the menu bar extras, click the Okta Verify icon > Open.
Your sign-in URL is the web address you use in your browser to access your company’s portal. It might also be available in the Welcome/Activation email that you received from your administrator.
The Check your browser screen appears, and a browser window opens.
A message confirms that your account was added successfully.
You can now use Okta Verify to authenticate when you access apps.