Configure a custom email address
A custom email address presents a branded experience to your end users. Email that Okta sends to your end users appears to come from your custom email domain instead of firstname.lastname@example.org. You can switch to a different custom domain or revert to the default Okta domain, but you can use only one email domain at a time.
About admin roles for this task
You must be a super admin or org admin with access to the DNS records of your public custom domain.
Before you begin
Okta strongly recommends that your organization implement the Sender Policy Framework (SPF) to prevent sender address forgery. If you already implement SPF in your custom domain, be aware that you must update the SPF record.
Start this task
- In the Admin Console, go to .
- Select a brand.
- Click Domains.
- Click Configure.
- For detailed further instructions, see Customize domain and email address.
Okta sends your super admins a confirmation email after your custom domain is configured and operating correctly. To ensure continuous operation, Okta polls your custom email domain once every 24 hours. If a problem occurs, Okta alerts super admins by email, and Okta-generated emails are sent from the default domain email@example.com until the problem is resolved.
- You can't configure Okta to send emails through a domain that uses SendGrid. Instead, configure a subdomain on your DNS provider for custom Okta emails.
- You can't have more than 10 DNS lookups in your SPF record.
- You can't use more than one custom email address at a time but you can switch to a different custom email address. If you switch to an org in the same cell, its custom email address must have a different top-level domain.