Device Registration (Okta Devices)
When a user installs Okta Verify on a device and adds an account, the device becomes registered as a unique object in the Okta Universal Directory. This registration binds the user to the Okta Verify app instance on the device, allowing admins to see a list of enrolled devices and change their lifecycle state in the Okta Admin Console.
All registered devices are in one of three lifecycle states:
|Suspended||This is a temporary state. It is useful to pause (and later resume) device access for users such as contractors or employees who take a leave of absence. Suspended devices can be unsuspended from the Devices page in the Okta Admin Console. When a device is suspended, these are the consequences:
|Deactivated||This state can be used if a device is reported as lost or compromised. A device that is deactivated can be reactivated from the Devices page in the Okta Admin Console. However, reactivated devices must be re-enrolled in Okta Verify.
To see all enrolled devices and manage their lifecycle state, go to Directory > Devices in the Admin Console.
- On the Devices page, you can ﬁlter the devices by:
- Platform: the device's operating system (for example, Android, Windows)
- Access status: Any, Created, Active, Suspended, Deactivated
- Device management: Any, Managed, Not managed
- The Device info column displays:
- The device's name. You can click the device name to find device details such as the model, OS version, and enrollment date
- The device owner's full name (as entered in their Okta user proﬁle).
- The device owner's Okta username
- The Platform column displays the device's OS.
- The Status column displays whether the device is currently active, suspended, or deactivated, as well as whether it is managed or not managed by an EMM.
- Click pause () to suspend an active device.
- Click resume () to unsuspend a device.
- Click reactivate () to deactivate a device.
- Click delete () to delete a deactivated device.
In addition to the company-wide list of devices, you can go directly to a particular user's list of registered devices. In the Okta Admin Console, go to Directory > People.
- Search for or click the name of the user whose devices you wish to see.
- In the user's proﬁle, click Devices to see further details. You can suspend or deactivate devices from this view.