In addition to providing the Confluence Cloud Web application through the Okta Integration Network, Okta also supports single sign-on integration between Okta and the Confluence On-Premises SAML app. To configure the integration, you must install Okta's custom Confluence authenticator on your Confluence server. The Okta Confluence Authenticator Version History article lists the Confluence on-premise versions that support recent versions of the JAR. You can access the latest version of the okta-confluence.jar file from the Okta Downloads page. Download the file before you begin the integration.
For more information about Confluence custom authenticators, refer to the page Single Sign-on Integration with JIRA and Confluence on the Atlassian website. For information about configuring provisioning for the app, see Configuring Provisioning for Confluence (Atlassian).
Note: To ensure that communication between your on-premise Confluence server and Okta is not blocked, you may need to add Okta IP addresses to your allowlist.
Add the On-Premise App to Okta
- Download the appropriate version of the okta-confluence.jar file from the Okta Downloads page. For information about which version of the JAR to download for use with your Confluence On-Premises SAML app, see Okta Confluence Authenticator Version History. Later you will copy this file to your Confluence server.
- Go to Applications > Applications.
- Click Browse App Catalog and search for Atlassian Jira Server.
- On the details page for the app integration, click Add.
- Follow the onscreen prompts. Detailed instructions for this part of the installation are provided in Add existing app integrations.
When you have completed initial installation, the Home page of the newly-created app appears.
- On the Assignments tab, assign users to the Confluence On-Premises SAML app.
- Click the Sign On tab.
- In the Settings section, click View Setup Instructions to open the article How to Configure Confluence On-Premise SAML Application.
The procedure is summarized as follows:
- Create a file okta-config-confluence.xml on the Confluence server.
- Paste the provided configuration into okta-config-confluence.xml.
- Update your [confluence_webdir]/WEB-INF/classes/seraph-config.xml:
- Copy okta-confluence.jar to the [confluence_webdir]/WEB-INF/lib directory.
- Restart your Confluence service.