MFA for Windows Credential Provider
The Okta Credential Provider for Windows enables strong authentication using MFA with Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) clients. Using the Okta Credential Provider for Windows, RDP clients (Windows workstations and servers) are prompted for MFA when accessing supported domain joined Windows machines and servers.
Requirements for installing the Okta Credential Provider for Windows:
- Proxy Configuration: The Okta Credential Provider for Windows does not support a discrete proxy configuration but will obey system level proxy configurations. To understand management of proxies on Windows machines, refer to docs.microsoft.com.
- The Windows machine used for installation must have an active internet connection with port 443 open.
- The installing account must have administrative rights to install the Okta Windows Credential Provider Agent, Visual C++ Redistributable and .NET 4.0+.
- Inline enrollment is not supported. End users can't enroll a factor during an RDP sign in. End users must have enrolled their MFA factors previously. End users without an enrolled factor receive an authentication failed response from Okta when attempting to sign into a Windows server using RDP.
Please note the following limitations:
- TLS 1.2 is required. For information on enabling TLS 1.2 in .NET and in Microsoft Internet Explorer browsers, see Okta ends browser support for TLS 1.1.
The Okta Credential Provider for Windows agent can be installed on the following:
- Windows Server 2022 (version 1.3.0 and above of the agent)
- Windows Server 2019 (version 1.3.0 and above of the agent)
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
See MFA factor configuration for a list of supported MFA factors.
|Download the agent||Download the Okta Credential Provider for Windows Agent from the Settings > Downloads page your in Okta org. The agent is found in the MFA Plugins and Agents section. Ensure the agent is downloaded to the machine where it will be installed.|
|Configure Okta org||Before installing the Okta credential provider for Windows, your org must have configured: Required MFA
|Assign users||All users who login to any machine that has the Credential Provider installed will need to be assigned to the Microsoft RDP (MFA) app.|
|Install the agent
||Okta Credential Provider for Windows supports standard and silent install. Install the agent as described.|
|Test and verify||Complete the installation by verifying the end-user sign in process.|
|Optionally, configure a proxy server.|
|Troubleshoot||If required, troubleshoot the agent.|