Reveal the password of an app
The Password reveal feature allows end users to see the passwords of their apps. This is especially useful if end users need to reenter a long, complicated, and randomly-generated password into another device.
For this feature to to work:
- An admin must enable Password reveal for the particular app.
- The end user must have permissions to manage the app's password.
- This feature is not available for end users when any of the following app sign-on options are selected:
- Administrator sets username and password
- Administrator sets username, password is the same as user's Okta password
- Users share a single username and password set by administrator
- For SWA apps set to the Users share a single username and password set by administration option, only Super or App Admins can view or change the password.
- Okta stores the end user's credentials in an encrypted format using strong encryption combined with a customer-specific private key. When end users click an application icon, Okta securely posts their credentials to the app login page over SSL and the user is signed in automatically.
- End users cannot reveal the password of an app configured with shared credentials.
- The revealed password disappears after one minute. To show the password again, users click Reveal Password.
- If users have been logged in for longer than 15 minutes (or haven't clicked Reveal Password in longer than 15 minutes), they are prompted to reauthenticate with Okta. The app's password is revealed after reauthentication.
If this feature is enabled for the app, end users can do the following:
- Select the Settings icon for the app whose password you want to reveal. The App Name > Settings screen appears:
- Select the See Password tab; initially the Password field is masked.
- Click Reveal Password. The password is displayed. End users can now copy the password and paste it into another device.