Install multiple Okta Active Directory (AD) agents
To configure high availability, you can install additional AD agents on separate servers or virtual machines. We recommend setting up two or more AD agents per domainA domain is an attribute of an Okta organization. Okta uses a fully-qualified domain name, meaning it always includes the top-level domain (.com, .eu, etc.), but does not include the protocol (https)..
Setting up a second AD agent follows the same steps as setting up your first agent. If you created the Okta service account with the first AD agent, then you are prompted to enter your password during the second agent installation.
To install additional AD agents on a domain
- Select Directory > Directory Integrations.
- Click Active DirectoryActive Directory (AD) is a directory service that Microsoft developed for the Windows domain networks. It is included in most Windows Server operating systems as a set of processes and services. Initially, Active Directory was only in charge of centralized domain management..
- Select the Settings tab. Your agents are listed in the Agent Monitors section.
- Click Add Agent.
- Run the installer as described in Install and configure the Okta Active Directory (AD) agent.
AD Agent Request Handling
Each agent connects to the Okta service independently. When the service needs to communicate to AD (for example, to authenticate a user), it picks one of the available agents and sends it a task to complete. If one of the agents becomes unavailable, it is automatically removed from the queue and not given additional tasks.
Agents send periodic messages to the service. If the service does not receive a message for 120 seconds, it is marked as unavailable. After 30 days of inactivity, the API token that was assigned during the agent install will expire and you will need to re-install the agent.
Domain Controller Selection
The AD agent relies on the underlying operating system to select which domain controller to communicate with.
Change the AD Agent User
- Sign in to the server running the AD Agent.
- From the Start menu, type run, then type services.msc.
- Locate the Okta AD Agent Service.
- Right click the Okta AD Agent Service and select Properties.
- Select the Log On tab and change the account credentials.
- Restart the service and verify that the agent displays as green in your Okta orgThe Okta container that represents a real-world organization..