Assign and unassign apps to users
Assign applications to users
When setting up or managing end user accounts, you can assign the applications you want to display on end usersIn Okta literature, we generally refer to "end users" as the people who have their own Okta home page (My Applications), using apps to authenticate into all of their apps. End users do not have any administrative control. When we refer to "users" we are generally referring to the individual(s) who have administrative control.' My Applications (or Home) page. You can assign applications from the People page or the Applications page.
To assign applications from the People page:
- Go to Directory > People.
- Click an end user's name.
- Select the Applications tab.
- Click Assign Applications.
- You can select applications from the list of available applications or use the Search box to search for applications by name. Once you have located the application you want to assign, click Assign AppAn abbreviation of application. Essentially, it is a web-based site used to perform any number of specific tasks, and requires authentication from end users by signing in..
- Enter sign in information such as the username. Note that this is not the user's Okta sign-in username, but the username the person uses to sign in to the application individually.
Enter application data options as needed. The required data depends on the application and may include information such as parameters that define the user to the application, profiles, or roles. You may also have to provide credential security options.
- Click Save and Go Back.
For details on how to assign applications from the Applications page, see Applications.
You can assign applications to individual users manually, as described above, but you may find it more convenient to assign applications to entire groupsGroups allow you to organize your end users and the apps they can access. Assigning apps to large sets of end users is made easier with groups.. For details, see Importing and Using Groups in Okta.
Unassign users from applications
- Go to the People page.
Click the end user's name.
Click the X to remove the user's access to the application. This removes the application button from the user's My Applications page.
Note: If the user was assigned to the application as a member of a Group, in order to unassign the user from the application you would need to either move the user out of the group or unassign the application from the entire group.Top