Uninstall or re-install the Okta LDAP agent
When you uninstall and reinstall your LDAPLightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) is a lightweight client-server protocol for accessing directory services, specifically X.500-based directory services. LDAP runs over TCP/IP or other connection oriented transfer services. agentA software agent is a lightweight program that runs as a service outside of Okta. It is typically installed behind a firewall and allows Okta to tunnel communication between an on-premises service and Okta's cloud service. Okta employs several agent types: Active Directory, LDAP, RADIUS, RSA, Active Directory Password Sync, and IWA. For example, users can install multiple Active Directory agents to ensure that the integration is robust and highly available across geographic locations., you must decide whether or not you also want to remove the old Okta API token from your system. If you are performing an upgrade, you are not required to do so. To remove the API token, you must delete the Okta LDAP Agent folder, and deactivate and remove your old LDAP agent.
Note: If you intend to continue using an LDAP agent, to avoid downtime you must have at least two agents running before you uninstall one of them.
Uninstalling the LDAP Agent on Windows
- On your Windows server, go to Start > Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
- Select the Okta LDAP Agent, and then click Uninstall/Change.
- Uninstalling your LDAP agent leaves the agent configuration data on your hard drive. To remove the configuration data, go to \Program Files\Okta and delete the Okta LDAP Agent folder. Deleting this folder removes the agent configuration data and the API Token from your hard drive. The API token for the server is still valid in Okta, so it is important that you remove the configuration data.
Uninstalling the LDAP Agent on Linux
On your Linux server, issue the appropriate command:
dpkg --remove OktaLDAPAgent
yum remove OktaLDAPAgent
Issuing the remove command removes the agent, all the agent configuration data, and the API Token from your hard drive. The API token for the server is still valid in Okta so it is important to remove the configuration data.
Installing the LDAP agent does not overwrite the configuration data in the Okta LDAP Agent folder. If you want to reinstall and create a new API token, make sure you delete the Okta LDAP Agent folder (as described above) before you reinstall the LDAP agent. Then perform the following steps to reinstall your LDAP agent and deactivate and remove the old LDAP agent in Okta.
- Perform the LDAP agent installation procedure for your operating system (Uninstall or re-install the Okta LDAP agent or Uninstall or re-install the Okta LDAP agent) as described above.
- Go to Directory > Directory Integrations > LDAP, and then click the Settings tab.
- Your agents are listed under Agent Monitors. Confirm that your reinstalled LDAP agent is connected to Okta and appears in the list. Make sure to have at least one LDAP agent online.
If you are performing an upgrade or reinstall and you do not want to revoke the Okta API token of the old LDAP agent, you are finished. Otherwise, proceed to the next step.
- Under Agent Monitors, click Deactivate for the old LDAP agent and then click Ok to confirm. Deactivating the agent revokes its API token.
- Under Agent Monitors, click Remove for the old LDAP agent and then click Ok to confirm.