Enable RingCentral bidirectional attribute synchronization
Typically, Okta or Active DirectoryActive Directory (AD) is a directory service that Microsoft developed for the Windows domain networks. It is included in most Windows Server operating systems as a set of processes and services. Initially, Active Directory was only in charge of centralized domain management. (AD) are the sources of truth for user profile attributes. When you integrate RingCentral with Okta, the Direct Number and Extension attributes must come from RingCentral. Enabling bidirectional synchronization for these attributes allows RingCentral attribute data to be shared with Okta or AD.
- Contact Okta support and ask to have profile mastering and push functionality enabled.
- On the Okta AdminAn abbreviation of administrator. This is the individual(s) who have access to the Okta Administrator Dashboard. They control the provisioning and deprovisioning of end users, the assigning of apps, the resetting of passwords, and the overall end user experience. Only administrators have the Administration button on the upper right side of the My Applications page. Console, go to Directory > Profile Editor.
- In the Search field, enter RingCentral.
- Click Profile for the RingCentral User instance you want to edit.
- Click Add Attribute, select DirectNumber and Extension Number, and click Save.
- Click Mappings and select the RingCentral to Okta User tab.
- Map a user's phone number to the primaryPhone attribute and click Save Mappings. For example, entering
(appuser.directNumber != null ? appuser.directNumber : "") + "#" + appuser.extensionNumbermaps the user's primary phone number and extension to the primaryPhone attribute.
- Set RingCentral as the profile masterA profile master is an application (usually a directory service such as Active Directory, or human capital management system such as Workday) that acts as a source of truth for user profile attributes. A user can only be mastered by a single application or directory at any one time. For more details, see the Profile Master page. When users are mastered by attribute, we call this attribute-level mastery (ALM). ALM delivers finer grain control over how profiles are mastered by allowing admins to specify different profile masters for individual attributes. Profile mastering only applies to Okta user profiles, not app user profiles. For more details, see Attribute Level Mastering. for the primaryPhone attribute:
- Click Applications and enter RingCentral in the Search field.
- Click the RingCentral link for the RingCentral appAn abbreviation of application. Essentially, it is a web-based site used to perform any number of specific tasks, and requires authentication from end users by signing in. you want to edit.
- Click the ProvisioningProvisioning is the enterprise-wide configuration, deployment, and management of multiple types of IT system resources. Specifically, provisioning provides users access to equipment, software, or services. This involves creating, maintaining and deactivating required business process automation objects and attributes in systems, directories, and applications. tab and select To Okta in the SETTINGS list.
- Scroll down and in the Okta Attributes Mappings area, click Go to Profile Editor.
- Click the Information () icon for the primaryPhone attribute.
- In the Master priority list, select Override profile master and select RingCentral in the Add Master list.
- Click Save Attribute.
- Optional. If you have other applications acting as profile masters, confirm the RingCentral master priority is set correctly:
- Go to Directory > Profile Masters.
- Move RingCentral up or down in priority.