Custom IdP Factor Authentication
This is an Early Access feature. To enable it, contact Okta Support.
Identity Provider (IdP) factor authentication allows admins to enable a custom SAML or OIDC MFA factor based on a configured Identity Provider.
Once an IdP factor has been enabled and added to a factor enrollment policy, users who sign in to Okta may use it to verify their identity at sign in. End users are directed to the Identity Provider in order to authenticate and then redirected to Okta once verification is successful.
With this feature you can:
- Add a custom IdP factor for existing SAML or OIDC-based IdP authentication.
- Enable or disable the custom factor from the Admin Console.
- Link an existing SAML 2.0 IdP or OIDC IdP to use as the custom factor provider.
Before you begin
- Admin access to Okta is required to enroll and configure the desired custom factor.
- An existing Identity Provider must be available to use as the additional step up authentication provider.
- Refer to Step 1 - Add an Identity Provider in this topic for more information on adding an Identity Provider.
SAML and OIDC claims
Okta expects the following claims for SAML and OIDC:
- For the SAML response, the
subjectNameIdclaim is mapped to the Okta username.
- For the OIDC response, the
preferred_usernameclaim is mapped to the Okta username.
Custom IdP factor configuration
There are two primary steps to set up a custom IdP factor: 1) Add the IdP for MFA and 2) Enable the IdP factor.
Step 1: Add an Identity Provider
- Refer to Identity Providers for more information how to create a SAML Identity Provider for MFA. The workflow is located under: Identify Providers > Configure Inbound SAML > Workflow > Part 1 – Add a SAML Identity Provider.
Create the IdP factor with IdP usage as FactorOnly. Note that JIT settings are not supported.
- Once configured, navigate to Security > Identity Providers from the Okta console to add the Identity Provider.
- OpenID Connect
- Refer to Generic OpenID Connect for general information about OpenID Connect.
- Refer to Generic OpenID Connect Identity Providers on how to set up an OIDC Identity Provider.
- Once configured, navigate to Security > Identity Providers from the Okta console to the Identity Provider.
Step 2: Enable the custom IdP factor
- From the admin dashboard, navigate to Security > Multifactor.
- Click IdP Factor to access custom factor setup for custom SAML factor or custom OIDC factor setup.
- Click Edit.
- Click Add Custom Factor to add a new custom factor.
Select an Identity Provider from the menu. Note that the Identity Provider must be configured first before it can be selected.
- Click Save to save your configuration once an Identity Provider has been added.
- Set the custom factor status to Active to enable it for end users or Inactive to disable it.
Once the custom factor is active, navigate to Factor Enrollment and add the IdP factor to your org's factor enrollment policy.
- After the admin has added and enabled the custom factor, the end user is prompted to set up custom factor authentication on their next sign in.
- Once the end user has successfully set up the factor, it will appear in their settings as a configured factor under Settings > Extra Verification.