This Early Access feature can be enabled from the Early Access Feature Manager. See Manage Early Access and Beta features for more details.
- Factor Sequencing supports Okta Push and other factors as the primary method of authentication.
- This feature is supported on Okta Mobile only if password is set as the first factor.
- To configure and activate your factors of choice, navigate to Security > Multifactor > Factor Types from the Admin Console.
There are two steps to set up Factor Sequencing successfully:
- At Okta sign in, the end user is prompted to enter their ID to sign in.
- After entering their ID and clicking Next, the end user must authenticate with one or more factors that have been configured by their admin as part of the sign on policy.
- The end user can also select other factors in the sequence to authenticate via the factors listed in the drop-down menu.
Before you begin
Note the following limitations before configuring Factor Sequencing:
- SAML-based MFA or Identity Providers cannot be used as part of the Factor Sequencing chain.
- Factor Sequencing chains cannot be specified for application sign-on policies.
- A user must be enrolled in the first factor in the factor sequence to be sign in successfully. If they have not enrolled in the first factor of the sequence, they will be unable to sign in.
- If the sign-on policy has multiple factor chains, the user must be enrolled in the first factor from at least one factor chain.
Set enrollment policies for MFA factors
- From the Admin Console, navigate to Security > Multifactor > Factor Enrollment to set the enrollment policies for the factors you have already activated for your users.
- Verify that the factors in at least one factor chain is marked as Required for enrollment. For example, by defining the following two factor sequences in your sign on policy:
(a) SMS and Okta Verify
(b) Okta Verify and Security Questions
Your end users are required to enroll in the sequenced factors (a) or (b) for successful authentication to take place.
Define Okta sign-on policies
- From the Admin Console, navigate to Security > Authentication > Sign On.
- Select an existing rule or create a new rule for end users.
- After selecting your rule criteria, scroll down to Authentication to define your factor sequences.
Once your changes are saved, authentication with factor sequencing will be made available to end users immediately.
Example of Factor Sequencing in the admin console when defining a policy rule for MFA enrollment: