MFA for Windows Credential Provider
Users can use the Okta Credential Provider for Windows to prompt users for MFA when signing in to supported Windows servers with an RDP client.
Additionally, with version 1.2+ of the agent (EA), end users can reset their Active Directory passwords without contacting their administrators. This is done with a “Reset Okta Password” link on the sign-on screen.
Requirements for installing the Okta Credential Provider for Windows:
- Proxy Configuration: The Okta Credential Provider for Windows does not support a discrete proxy configuration but will obey system level proxy configurations. To understand management of proxies on Windows machines, refer to www.technet.com.
- The Windows machine used for installation must have an active internet connection with port 443 open.
- The installing account must have administrative rights to install the Okta Windows Credential Provider Agent, Visual C++ Redistributable and .NET 4.0+.
- Inline enrollment is not supported.
End users must have enrolled their MFA tokens previously, by choosing an MFA option for their account when signing in to Okta the first time or after a reset. End users cannot enroll a token during an RDP sign in. End users with unenrolled tokens receive an authentication failed response from Okta when attempting to sign into an RDP server.
TLS 1.2 is required. For information on enabling TLS 1.2 in .NET and in Microsoft Internet Explorer browsers, see Okta ends browser support for TLS 1.1.
The Okta Credential Provider for Windows agent can be installed on the following:
- Windows Server 2019 - v1.3.0 and later.
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
The following MFA Factors are supported:
- Okta Verify
Okta Verify supports Send push automatically and Do not Challenge for the next X hours options. These options are managed locally via browser cookies. If the browser is configured to automatically clear cache and cookies on window close then these settings would need to be set again anytime a new browser window is opened or any time cache and cookies are cleared.
- Voice Call
- On-Prem MFA (RSA)
- SMS Authentication
- Google Authenticator
- Symantec VIP
- Security Question
- Custom TOTP Authentication
|Download the agent||
|Configure Okta org||
|Install the agent
|Test and verify||