Troubleshoot Cisco Meraki integrations
Troubleshoot the Cisco Meraki integration
- Certificate errors
- RADIUS agent logging level
- Examine logs or capture packets
- Interpreting Wireshark captures
The Error(s) below show when one of:
- The CA certificate was not added on the client machine
- The wrong CA certificate was added on the client machine
- An incorrect Wi-Fi network is used
To set the log level in the RADIUS agent:
- Using a text editor, open the log4j.properties file from the installation folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\Okta\Okta RADIUS Agent\current\user\config\radius\
- Change the last instance of “info” to
debug (verbose) or trace (very verbose).
The update should resemble:
log4j.rootLogger=debug, app, stdout
log4j.rootLogger=trace, app, stdout
- Save the change and close the editor.
To examine logs or capture packets:
- On Mac, to display log information during connection attempts:
Upen a command prompt and execute the command:
log show --predicate 'subsystem == "com.apple.eapol"'
Attempt to connect to the WiFi access point.
Examine the log which will product results similar to:
2019-04-10 15:38:53.868667-0400 0x1caacd Default 0x0 17296 0 eapolclient: [com.apple.eapol:Client] en0 START uid 501 gid 20
2019-04-10 15:38:54.062713-0400 0x1caacd Default 0x0 17296 0 eapolclient: [com.apple.eapol:Client] en0: 802.1X User Mode
2019-04-10 15:39:02.510875-0400 0x1caacd Default 0x0 17296 0 eapolclient: [com.apple.eapol:Client] en0 EAP-TTLS: successfully authenticated
2019-04-10 15:39:11.117972-0400 0x1caacd Default 0x0 17296 0 eapolclient: [com.apple.eapol:Client] en0 STOP
- On Meraki cloud admin dashboard, navigate to Network-wide , and select either Packet capture or Event Log, as shown below.
Interpreting Wireshark captures
At a high level, there are three stages in the communication between the supplicant/AP and the RADIUS server when an authentication takes place:
- exchange of EAP-Identity and EAP-Start messages
- TLS Handshake, starting with a ClientHello
- RADIUS Access-Accept, followed by a 4-way EAPoL handshake between the AP and supplicant