Generic OpenID Connect
Generic OpenID Connect (OIDC) allows users to sign in to an Okta org using their credentials from their existing account at an OIDC Identity Provider (IdP). A generic OIDC IdP can be a third-party IdP that supports OIDC, such as Salesforce or Yahoo, or your own custom IdP. You can also configure federation between Okta orgs using OIDC as a replacement for SAML. If you want your users to be able to sign in using an existing database of credentials and sync their accounts in to Universal Directory from the external IdP, configure your Okta org to use a generic OIDC IdP.
Configuring a generic OIDC IdP allows you to use the following features:
- User Registration: Capture the Profile attributes from a generic OIDC IdP user and store those attributes in Okta's Universal Directory.
- User Authentication: After a user is registered, continue to use that generic OIDC IdP for user authentication, thus eliminating the need to store an additional username and password for that user.
- Profile Sync: If a user updates their profile, those changes can be reflected inside Okta the next time that they use the IdP to sign in.
- Support for Multiple Social Profiles: Multiple Social Profiles can all be linked to one Okta user.
- OAuth 2.0 Scope Configuration: Specify OAuth 2.0 scopes to fully control which attributes are linked to Okta.
For detailed information on usage and set up, see Generic OpenID Connect Identity Providers.