Set up your current Okta Verify account on a new Android device
If you already use Okta Verify and want to set up your account on a new device, it might not be enough to just install the app on the new device. First, you might have to remove your existing Okta Verify enrollment either from your device, or from the Settings page of your organization’s apps dashboard. Then, you can add the account on the new device. Some restrictions apply.
This topic is for users who already have an Okta Verify account on a device. If you’re a new user who wants to set up Okta Verify for the first time, see Set up Okta Verify on Android devices.
Okta Verify features are available based on configurations made by your organization.
Before you begin
- Ensure that you can still access the Okta End-User Dashboard. You must meet at least one of these conditions:
- You still have the old device that you registered with Okta Verify and the app is still working.
- In addition to Okta Verify, you previously set up at least one other security method such as SMS (text), email, or Security Key or Biometric Authenticator (among others). See Sign in to resources protected by Okta.
If you’re unsure whether you set up additional security methods, enter the sign-in URL in your internet browser on your mobile or desktop device and enter your username and password. Based on your organization’s configuration, one of these sign-in windows appears.
Click the arrow beside the Okta Verify icon or Verify with something else to see what other security methods are available.
- If you don’t have other security methods set up and can't access your company's Okta End-User Dashboard account, contact your company’s help desk.
Some organizations configure user access so that you can have only one device set up with Okta Verify at a time.
Start this procedure
- Task 1. In a browser, get a new enrollment QR code for Okta Verify.
- Task 2. Install Okta Verify and add an account.
- From a browser, sign in to your organization's Okta End-User Dashboard. If you can't sign in, contact your company’s help desk.
- Click the arrow next to your name and go to Settings.
- If the Edit Profile button appears, click it and enter your password if prompted.
- Get a new QR code. Scroll down to Extra Verification. In some organizations, this section is called Security Methods.
The Extra Verification or Security Methods section appears only if your organization configured this option. For details, contact your company’s help desk.
- If Okta Verify is in the Security methods section, follow these steps:
- If Okta Verify is in the Extra Verification section, follow these steps:
- Click Remove.
- When prompted to confirm removal, click Yes.
- Follow the instructions on the screen. You might have to confirm your identity with a security method.
- In the Okta Verify row, click Set up.
- Click Set up to confirm that you want to set up Okta Verify again.
- Select your device type and click Next.
The Okta Verify enrollment QR code appears on the screen.
- Go to your device, download the app from Google Play and install it.
- Open the app and follow the instructions.
- Tap Add account.
- Choose the type of account to add. Tap Organization.
- Choose your account setup method.
- Ensure the code is shown on another device such as a laptop or desktop. Tap Yes, ready to scan, and point your camera at the QR code displayed in the browser on another device.
- If you don’t know how to obtain the QR code, tap Where do I get my QR code?
- If you can’t scan the QR code, tap No, sign in instead. Follow the instructions in Set up Okta Verify on your Android device by signing in to your apps dashboard.
- If prompted, enable biometrics. Tap Enable.
On Android 12, you can’t enable biometrics if Okta Verify is installed in your work profile. Skip the biometrics enablement step if you can. Contact your organization’s Support team if you’re stuck.
- Tap Done to complete the account enrollment.
Your new account is now available in the Okta Verify app.
You can start using Okta Verify to sign in to your organization's resources.