Deploy the Access Gateway OVA file to VMware vSphere and ESXi
This topic describes how to deploy the Access Gateway OVA installation file to VMware vSpere and ESXi environments.
VMWare ESXi, vSphere, and vSphere Client version 6.5 and later support SHA-256OVF files.
To convert from SHA256 to SHA1:
$ ovftool --shaAlgorithm=SHA1 /path/to/the/original/ova_file.ova /path/to/the/new/ova/file-SHA1.ova
- Download and install the VMware vSphere Client from the ESXi/vSphere server.
- Open the VMware vSphere Client.
- Enter the server name or IP address and credentials in their respective fields and click Login.
- In the vSphere Client window, select .
- In the Deploy OVF Template window, click Browse.
- Select the Okta-Access Gateway OVA file, and then click Open.
- Click Next.
- Review the template details provided, and then click Next.
- Click Accept to accept the Access Gateway licence agreement, and then click Next.
- Enter a name for the Access Gateway template, and then click Next.
- Select a storage location, and then click Next.
- Select the appropriate disk format option based on your requirements, and then click Next.
- Click Finish. The VMware vSphere Client begins the deployment process.
- Click Close when the deployment is complete.
- In the vSphere Client window, click Inventory.
- Select the Virtual Machines tab to display the virtual machines that are currently deployed to the server.
- Select the Access Gateway virtual machine and click Power On (symbolized by a play icon) in the toolbar.
- Right-click the virtual machine and select Open Console to sign in to it.
On some versions of VMware EXSi, the Access Gateway appliance doesn't start due to a compatibility error. Perform this procedure to correct the error.
- Open VMware vSphere Client.
- Enter the server name or IP address and credentials in the respective fields, and then click Login.
- Go to the Okta Access Gateway virtual machine.
- Right-click the virtual machine name, and then select Compatibility > Upgrade VM compatibility > Yes.
- In the Compatible with dialog box, select the default option. Typically, this is ESXi 6.5 and higher.