The new Okta end-user experience
The new Okta End-User Dashboard and Okta Browser Plugin greatly improve an end-user's productivity and ease of access by allowing immediate shortcuts to apps provisioned by an end-user's org. The new experience is faster, more intuitive, and more responsive to smaller screens.
Okta End-User Dashboard
The following sections provide more information about the enhancements added to the End-User Dashboard. It also details functionalities that are retained or removed or temporarily unavailable.
In addition to refreshing the design, the new dashboard features the following enhancements:
- Speed: Loads 50% faster than the previous dashboard.
- Any device: The new user experience design is fully responsive and works seamlessly across all devices
Accessibility: Improves screen reader support, color contrast, and keyboard navigation
Display preferences: Allows end users to create customizable layouts of app cards on the dashboard to either a list or a grid view with a configurable Recently Used Apps section of apps at top of the dashboard. Learn about recently used apps here.
- New side-navigation design: Makes it easier for end users to find everything they need in one place, this navigation offers the option to add new features
- Sections replace tabs: A new single-view panel with various sections means users no longer have to switch back and forth between tabs to find their applications
- Enhanced Search: Enables users to find whatever they need, when they need it, faster than before—even if they mistype what they’re looking for
Onboarding Guides: Provides a guided walkthrough to help end users understand how to use the dashboard
Browser plugin onboarding: Displays an onboarding banner after the plugin is installed by the user or through group policy that describes how to use the Okta Browser Plugin
- Recent sign-ins: End-users can track recent sign-ins and immediately report any suspicious activity. This feature is only available in the new dashboard for orgs that use the adaptive MFA SKU.
- Adaptability: Use resources such as email templates to help you communicate changes that are coming to the Okta End-User Dashboard and Okta Browser Plugin with our End User Adoption Toolkit.
- Branding Feature:You can use the branding feature to add themes or colors to your dashboard.
On the Okta End-User Dashboard, the recommended app assignment limits for end users have increased. The experience supports for end users to be assigned up to 5000 apps, an increase from the limit of 2000 on the old Okta End-User Dashboard.
The dashboard does not affect the user interface or the settings for the following functionalities:
- Sign-in page customization. For example, sign-in flows, reset password flows, self-service unlock flows
Translation for for Okta's 26 supported languages
- User Settings page
- Interstitial loading pages
- User onboarding flow
Some functionalities will eventually become unsupported in the new experience. If you require one of the below features for your org, please reach out to support for assistance.
Secure my Mac flows from the Dashboard
App badges for new apps
If an org has Device Trust enabled, apps that are not accessible from an untrusted device will display a gray color and a locked icon. In the new Okta End-User Dashboard, these apps will not display a locked icon but will still be inaccessible to users when accessed from an untrusted device.
Okta Browser Plugin
We’ve redesigned the Okta Browser Plugin for better user experience. All existing functionalities of the plugin are available in the redesigned Okta Browser Plugin.
Main changes include:
- The Tab sidebar has been moved to the left
- Navigation has been upgraded
Control access to the Okta End-User Dashboard
Learn how to control access to the Okta End-User Dashboard for your org.
Disable Okta user communication and onboarding guides
Okta may occasionally contact your end-users to recommend security practices, notify them about new features, and request feedback. Users can opt out of Okta user communication through the following steps:
On the Okta Admin Console, go to Settings > Customization > Okta User Communication > Edit.
- Select Opt out of Okta User Communication for this Org.
- Click Save.