Create a custom character restriction for the Okta user name
The default format for Okta user names is an email address. To give you additional control over the format of Okta user names, you can create a custom character restriction that replaces the email format constraint with a specific set of allowable characters.
- In the Admin Console, go to Directory > Profile Editor.
- Click Okta in the Filters list.
- For Okta User (default), click Profile. If Profile is unavailable, click User (default).
- For the Username attribute, click information .
- Select one of the following options for the Format restrictions field:
- Email format — Default. The user name must be in email format. For example, email@example.com. Users can sign in using their full email address, or using the part before the @-sign if that prefix is unique within the Okta org.
- Custom character restriction — This option lets you define a set of characters that are allowed in user names. For example, to allow lowercase letters, odd digits, and periods, enter: a-z.13579 . 4-byte characters are not permitted by Okta.
- None — This option removes all format restrictions from the user name allowing you to use any non-empty string.
- Click Save Attribute.