Using the Confluence On Premises SAML App
In addition to providing the Confluence Cloud Web application through the Okta Integration Network, Okta also supports single sign-on integration between Okta and the Confluence On-Premises SAML app. To configure the integration, you must install Okta's custom Confluence authenticator on your Confluence server. The Okta Confluence Authenticator Version History article lists the Confluence on-premise versions that support recent versions of the JAR. You can access the latest version of the okta-confluence.jar file from the Okta Downloads page. Download the file before you begin the integration.
For more information about Confluence custom authenticators, refer to the page Single Sign-on Integration with JIRA and Confluence on the Atlassian website. For information about configuring provisioning for the app, see Configuring Provisioning for Confluence (Atlassian).
Note: To ensure that communication between your on-premise Confluence server and Okta is not blocked, you may need to add Okta IP addresses to your whitelist.
Add the On-Premise App to Okta
Note: Steps 5 and 8 below provide links to other documents with additional instructions.
Download the appropriate version of the okta-confluence.jar file from the Okta Downloads page. For information about which version of the JAR to download for use with your Confluence On-Premises SAML app, see Okta Confluence Authenticator Version History. Later you will copy this file to your Confluence server.
- Go to Applications > Applications.
- Click Add Application and search for Atlassian Jira Server.
- Click Add.
- Follow the onscreen prompts. Detailed instructions for this part of the installation are provided in Applications.
When you have completed initial installation, the Home page of the newly-created app appears.
- On the Assignments tab, assign users to the Confluence On-Premises SAML app.
- Click the Sign On tab.
- In the Settings section, click View Setup Instructions to open the article How to Configure Confluence On-Premise SAML Application.
The procedure is summarized as follows:
- Create a file okta-config-confluence.xml on the Confluence server.
- Paste the provided configuration into okta-config-confluence.xml.
- Update your [confluence_webdir]/WEB-INF/classes/seraph-config.xml:
- Copy okta-confluence.jar to the [confluence_webdir]/WEB-INF/lib directory.
- Restart your Confluence service.