Update the Okta Active Directory (AD) agent
Important: To ensure that you have up-to-date functionality and get optimum performance from your Okta AD agentA software agent is a lightweight program that runs as a service outside of Okta. It is typically installed behind a firewall and allows Okta to tunnel communication between an on-premises service and Okta's cloud service. Okta employs several agent types: Active Directory, LDAP, RADIUS, RSA, Active Directory Password Sync, and IWA. For example, users can install multiple Active Directory agents to ensure that the integration is robust and highly available across geographic locations.(s), we strongly recommend that you download and install the latest version of the agent on your designated domainA domain is an attribute of an Okta organization. Okta uses a fully-qualified domain name, meaning it always includes the top-level domain (.com, .eu, etc.), but does not include the protocol (https). server(s). If you are running multiple Okta AD agent, make sure that all of them are the same version. Running different versions within a domain can cause all agents in that domain to function at the level of the oldest agent. This does not affect other domains.
When you uninstall and reinstall your Okta AD agent, you must decide whether you also want to remove the old Okta API token from your system. If you are performing an upgrade, you are not required to remove the old token. To remove the API token, you must delete the Okta AD agent folder and deactivate and remove your old agent.
Upgrade in place
It is possible to upgrade the agent without having to uninstall it. The agent installer will automatically upgrade an existing agent. During an upgrade, the agent installer will prompt for Okta adminAn abbreviation of administrator. This is the individual(s) who have access to the Okta Administrator Dashboard. They control the provisioning and deprovisioning of end users, the assigning of apps, the resetting of passwords, and the overall end user experience. Only administrators have the Administration button on the upper right side of the My Applications page. credentials. Ensure that you have the Okta admin credentials handy before performing an upgrade.
- In Windows, select Start > Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
- Select the Okta AD Agent, and then select Uninstall.
- Uninstalling your AD agent leaves the agent configuration data on your hard drive.
- To remove the configuration data, on the agent server, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Okta and delete the Okta AD Agent folder. Deleting this folder removes the agent configuration data and the API Token from your hard drive. The API token for the server is still valid in Okta so it is important to remove the configuration data.
- Revoke the API token by going to the agent monitor in Okta. Deactivate and remove the uninstalled agent, which will remove the API token.
Reinstall the Okta AD agent
Installing the AD agent does not overwrite the configuration data in the Okta AD Agent folder. If you want to reinstall and create a new API token, make sure you delete the Okta AD Agent folder (as described above) before you reinstall the AD agent. Then perform the following steps to reinstall your AD agent and deactivate and remove the old AD agent in Okta:
- Perform the AD agent installation procedure described in STEP 1: Install the Active Directory agent on the host server.
- Select Directory > Directory Integrations.
- Click Active Directory.
- In the Settings tab, your agents are listed in the Agent Monitors section. Confirm that your reinstalled AD agent is connected to Okta and appears in the list. You should always make sure to have at least one AD agent online.
If you are performing an upgrade or reinstall and you do not want to revoke the Okta API token of the old AD agent, you are finished. Otherwise, proceed to the next step.
- Under Agent Monitors, select the Deactivate link for the old AD agent and then click Ok to confirm. Deactivating the agent revokes its API token.
- Click the Remove link for the old AD agent and then click Ok to confirm.