Integrate Slack with Okta
- Add the Slack appAn abbreviation of application. Essentially, it is a web-based site used to perform any number of specific tasks, and requires authentication from end users by signing in. to Okta if it has not been added previously:
- On the OktaAdminAn abbreviation of administrator. This is the individual(s) who have access to the Okta Administrator Dashboard. They control the provisioning and deprovisioning of end users, the assigning of apps, the resetting of passwords, and the overall end user experience. Only administrators have the Administration button on the upper right side of the My Applications page. Console, click Applications.
- Click Add Application.
- In the Search for an application field, enter Slack.
- Select Add for Slack
- In the General Settings page, complete the fields and click Next.
- In the Sign On Methods section of the Sign-On Options pane, select a sign on option. If you select SAMLAn acronym for Security Assertion Markup Language, SAML is an XML-based standard for exchanging authentication and authorization data between an identity provider (IdP) and a service provider (SP). The SAML standard addresses issues unique to the single sign-on (SSO) solution, and defines three roles: the end user, the IdP, and the SP. Here's how SAML works through Okta: SP-initiated flow: the end user requests (principally through a browser) a service from the SP. The SP requests and obtains an identity assertion from the IdP (in this case, Okta). On the basis of this assertion, the SP can decide whether or not to authorize or authenticate the service for the end user. IdP-initiated flow: with Okta as the IdP, an end user goes to the Okta browser and clicks on an app, sending a SAMLResponse to the configured SP. A session is established with the SP, and the end user is authenticated. 2.0, click View Setup Instructions and follow the instructions.
- Scroll down and click Done.
- If you added the Slack app previously, on the OktaAdmin Console click Applications and select Slack in the list of applications.
- Click the ProvisioningProvisioning is the enterprise-wide configuration, deployment, and management of multiple types of IT system resources. Specifically, provisioning provides users access to equipment, software, or services. This involves creating, maintaining and deactivating required business process automation objects and attributes in systems, directories, and applications. tab, click Configure API Integration, and select the Enable API Integration check box.
- Click Authenticate with Slack.
The Slack application opens in a new window.
Sign in to Slack and click Authorize.
The Slack window closes, you are returned to the Okta Admin Console, and the message Slack was verified successfully appears.
- Click Save.
- Optional. Change the Okta to Slack provisioning settings:
- Click the Provisioning tab and select To App in the SETTINGS list.
- Select the Enable check box for the Create Users, Update User Attributes, or Deactivate Users options.
- Click Save.
- Optional. Assign users to the Slack app. See Assign and unassign apps to users.