Perform admin renomination
Admin renomination is the process of introducing a new Access Gateway admin node running the newest Access Gateway software version.
Admin renomination cannot be used with an Access Gateway cluster running v2020.7.2 or earlier. On Access Gateway clusters running versions prior to v2020.8.3 update the admin node and the nominated admin node to version 2020.08.3 or later before proceeding with admin renomination.
To bring an entire cluster up to the latest version of Access Gateway based on Oracle Enterprise Linux (OEL):
- Add a new worker node based on OEL to the cluster.
- Follow these instructions to make the new worker node the admin node.
- When complete decommission the previous admin node.
- Replace each worker node with new nodes based on the latest version of Access Gateway based on OEL.
When performing admin renomination there are primarily two Access Gateway nodes involved: the original admin node and a node nominated as the new admin. The two admin node strategy limits concerns about loss of configuration and data during the renomination process.
During the process:
- The admin node manages the overall process, working with each worker to ensure they process proceeds smoothly.
- The worker node that's brought in to become the new nominated admin, then takes over as admin and ensures the process completes successfully.
After the process is complete, the nominated worker node takes over with the existing admin node still being available, but as a standalone instance. Afterward you can decommission the original admin node or return it to the cluster as a worker.
You can't update Access Gateway clusters prior to v2020.08.3 using the admin renomination process.
To update a pre-v2020.08.3, backup the cluster configuration and then update each cluster node individually prior to performing the renomination process.
See Backup and restore and Upgrade Access Gateway for more information.
Admin renomination is composed of the following tasks:
- Select and prepare a worker node to become the new admin - This step requires either adding a new worker node running Access Gateway v2020.08.3 or later, or upgrading an existing worker to Access Gateway version 2020.08.3 or later.
- Prepare Admin node - This step involves upgrading the cluster admin node to Access Gateway version 2020.08.3 or later or installing the cluster-manager-package.
- Using the Access Gateway Management console connect to the nominated worker node and begin the admin renomination process.
- Using the Access Gateway Management console connect to the existing admin node and continue the admin renomination process.
- Using the Access Gateway Management console return to the nominated worker node and determine its IP address.
- Add appropriate DNS entries for the replacement admin node.
In instances where, for access/management or other purposes, the admin node is in a different network zone then workers, the worker targeted to become the new admin should be moved into the same network zone as the admin.
If a new instance is being added, then add this instance in the same network zone as the current admin.