Learn about administrators
Each admin role has a unique set of permissions and restrictions. Before you assign them to individuals or groups, learn what each admin does and how you can combine roles for more granular permissions.
There are several important things to note about administrators:
- Super admin is the only role that can manage users or groups with admin privileges.
- To prevent permission overrides, existing admins and admin groups can be granted to new roles through the Add administrator option.
- If a group admin is assigned access to a group that is later assigned an admin role, the group admin is no longer able to make any changes over the group or group members.
- When an admin is deactivated, they will retain any admin roles that were assigned to them through group memberships, unless the admin is removed from the group. If you reactivate the admin, their group admin role assignments will also be reactivated.
- The Admin Console only displays active users with admin assignments. Inactive users with group admin assignments will not appear as admins anywhere in the Admin Console.
- Admin roles can't be assigned to groups with more than 5,000 members.
- Group rules don't work with admin groups. This prevents delegated admins from erroneously increasing their or other user's administrative privileges.
- Admins lose their permissions when they are deactivated. If you reactivate a former admin, you also need to reassign privileges to them.
When you modify a group’s admin role assignments or group membership, it might take a few minutes for those changes to take effect.
You can only get the admin reports from the Admin role assignment reports page in the Admin Console. Currently, getting reports using APIs is not supported.
- Super administrators
- Organization administrators
- Application administrators
- Group administrators
- Group membership administrators
- Mobile administrators
- Help desk administrators
- Report administrators
- Read-only administrators
- API Access Management administrators
- Access certifications administrators
- Access requests administrators