Best Practices and FAQs
- Setup and configure all three types of imports:
- Full import: Run weekly to reconcile all users, can be run more frequently depending on number of users and preference
- Incremental import: Run as frequently as hourly depending on the number of updates made that cannot be triggered via RTS, such as pre-hires (see Incremental Imports)
- RTS: Configure for all user updates and terminations (see Workday Real Time Sync)
- If you are on the newest connector, configure field overrides instead of a custom report for the best performance. Otherwise, use a paginated custom report. See Workday Custom Attributes)
- If you have over 50k users, contact Okta Support to enable batch imports for more robust performance.
POST xx/Human_Resources/v29.0 HTTP/1.1
Host: Workday host
<S:Envelope xmlns:S="http://schemas.xmlsoap.orgThe Okta container that represents a real-world organization./soap/envelope/">
<wsse:Security xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:wsse="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-secext-1.0.xsd" soapenv:mustUnderstand="1">
<ns1:Get_Workers_Request xmlns:ns1="urn:com.workday/bsvc" ns1:version="v29.0">
What versions of the Workday API are currently supported?
Okta supports v15 and v29 of the Workday API.
Constrained groups are not supported at this time.
Are custom attributes supported?
Yes, we pull custom attributes in all of the imports. If you are not seeing a custom attribute, check the custom report in Workday with JSON endpoint and validate that the data is there.
What are the performance load that can be supported in a Workday as a Master implementation? How many users can be imported in a full import/incremental import?
Currently we passed 250k users in our scale testing. We continue to move forward towards 300k.
Are there technical limitations to integrating Okta with Workday?
We cannot determine changes on custom attributes for incremental imports if they do not have a transaction log tied to them, but if there are base attribute changes, we will pull in the custom attributes too.
Are there limitations when provisioning/de-provisioning users using custom attributes?
No, the user works the same with or without the custom attributes.
Are there limitations with a real time sync versus an import?
RTS requires a business process to be setup in Workday for each event you want to trigger.