Enforce Device Trust and SSO for desktop devices with Okta + VMware Workspace ONE
This use case allows administrators to establish device trust by evaluating device posture, such as whether the device is managed, before permitting end users to access sensitive applications. It also establishes Okta as a trusted identity provider to Workspace ONE, allowing end users to log in to the Workspace ONE app, Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub app, and web portal using Okta authentication policies.
A device trust flow for macOS and Windows 10 devices using the Salesforce application would follow this sequence:
- End user attempts to access the Salesforce tenant (SP-init only. IdP-init is not supported. See Caveats ).
- Salesforce redirects to Okta as the configured identity provider.
- Okta processes the incoming request and routes the client to the Workspace ONE IdP based on configured routing rules.
- Workspace ONE challenges the client device for credentials.
- Workspace ONE checks device compliance status.
- Upon successful authentication with Workspace ONE, the client device is redirected back to Okta.
- Okta validates the SAML assertion from Workspace ONE and issues the SAML assertion for Salesforce.
To configure this use case: